• 2PM’s Park Jaebeom Quits?Posted September 8th, 2009 At 7:11 pm By MTV ASIA

TEXT: LENNAT MAK

It was just another regular afternoon in the MTV office. Folks running around doing their daily work. Me? I was just kicking back, listening to Korea’s super boybands 2PM and 2AM (how utterly confusing!), upon the request of my blog editor. To be frank, much as I love music, I’m not one of those who blatantly declare “I listen to all music!” In reality, no one really does and anyone who dares say that, is a phoney. You listen to all music? How about death jazz? Middle Eastern garage rock? Baroque pop? I’m ready to admit that I only listen to certain genres and Korean and Japanese Pop definitely aren’t part of them.

But as a music blogger, I’m ready for change (although I really love my dollars). So, if I must understand the allure of K/J-Pop, I must then, delve right into the belly of the beast. And since the lovely boys from 2AM performed at the MTV World Stage Live In Malaysia’s post party and were ever so charming, I raided one of the designers’ desk and absconded with 2PM’s “2:00PM Time For Change” (how apt!) and 2AM’s “Time For Confession” (is this a coincidence?) and attempted the impossible – Fall in love with K-Pop.

2PM's "Time For Change"

2PM's "Time For Change"

While I was looking through the elaborately designed CD sleeves and trying to tell the boys from 2AM and 2PM apart, someone shouted over the desks and disrupted the peace of the day: 2PM’s leader, Park Jaebeom, has quit the group!

Gasp. Shock. Horror. I haven’t even heard enough to tell the songs apart just yet. Now I have to deal with the traumatizing possibilities of a new line-up while I was getting on with the old.

Park Jae-beom, ex-2PM

Park Jaebeom, ex-2PM

According to reports, Jaebeom has been blasted for his controversial remarks (allegedly “I hate Koreans”) he made between 2005 – 2007 on MySpace. The comments were made way before he made it big with 2PM and were recently publicized, much to the outrage of the public (*Edit: Apparently, it wasn’t the fans. They are more than supportive for Jaebeom, as you can see from the comments below) who wanted blood for his reckless and immature behavior. Although he has apologized and JYP Entertainment’s CEO Park Jin-young has given his statement that Jaebeom would stay in the group, the situation turned for the worst. On September 8, Jaebeom posted on Fancafe with the following statement:

“Hello, I’m 2PM’s Jaebeom.

I’m sorry for giving you my last greeting through this letter.
    I think it will be hard for me to see you all on stage because of my sorry heart.

I’m really sorry to everyone, and I’m even more sorry to the fans who have shown me love.
    From today, I will leave 2PM.

2PM boys, I’m really sorry to the boys and I’m sorry I couldn’t be strong as a leader and a hyung and have to leave like this.
    However, I hope you will be more cool and charming.

Again, I’m sorry.

Jaebeom”

As reported by www.asiae.co.kr, Jaebeom will be returning to United States (Update: Oh, he already did!) and 2PM will continue their worldwide domination. (*Edit: Rumors that Lee Junho would be taking over as the newly appointed band leader are currently unverified.)

So much drama indeed. All you K-Pop fans out there, any thoughts on this? While you are at it, give me your hearty recommendations for which K/J-Pop groups to check out. Reason? I wouldn’t want this to happen to me, even though events of this outrageous murder over Wonder Girls might be grossly exaggerated.

• This entry was posted on Tuesday, September 8th, 2009 at 7:11 pm and is filed under Music & Entertainment. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

57 Responses to “2PM’s Park Jaebeom Quits?”

1. ML posted on September 8, 2009 at 8:22 pm

yes. even the korea media found the screencaps of Jays’ love towards korean, only after he almost reaching the airport for seattle. it’s too late. his innocence, it’s proven. altho what he commented earlier was harsh, but we, hottest, knew how hard it must be for him back then. leaving his family in seattle, making out good in korea atlast. but now? netizens only kept the good one and show his faults. no matter what, 2PM will remain seven in our hearts. together with Jay Park <3

• lennat posted on September 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm

I guess Jay really left too abruptly for the Korean media to response properly. To look at things on the bright side, now they know how harsh everyone was towards Jay. He might just return soon. I feel it in my gut and hope for the best for all 2PM fans!

2. izza lemonade posted on September 8, 2009 at 8:22 pm

this is very disappointing.now,the netizen regretted it.too late netizen.too late.i’ve been following the news since this morning.to be honest,every second was heartbreaking from his last message in the fan cafe till his departure at Incheon Airport.losing this young talented man in the music industry means it’s a BIG lost to Korea.now,we hoping that he will stay strong no matter what.love & respect,Jay Park.

p/s:try lachata by f(x) and 2ne1′s mini album.they won’t disappoint you.x)

• lennat posted on September 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm

When I heard the news, I was quite taken aback because I was really holding the CD in my hands and looking at their photos! It was like a “This is soooo not happening!!!” moment for me.

And thanks for the recommendation. Now I have lots of groups to check out! Busy time!

3. Ka-E posted on September 8, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I seriously think that this should not happen. I understand the fact that the netizens are angry but it should be to a certain extend. This thing happened 4 years ago and they should understand Jaebeom’s situation at that time, having to survive in a different country without his family and adapting with a new culture and language(he’s from the US, for those who don’t know).

I am their fan and I’m sure that many will agree to the fact that Jaebeom is a talented entertainer and to let him leave like that is just unacceptable. He already made a sincere apology and his later comments in myspace (made in 2006) also revealed how he wanted to stay in Korea as a Korean.

Whatever it is, I think netizens have gone too far on this matter. To fight over things that happened 4 years ago seems a bit immature considering how he has changed nowadays. I believe Jaebeom deserves a second chance.

P/S:..and while I’m at it, I suggest you try listening to Dong Bang Shin Ki, Big Bang and FT Island… They are also my favourite groups~

• lennat posted on September 8, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Hmm. In my most humble opinion, Jaebeom might be given a second chance. Time will heal all wounds. There will come a time he might return from Seattle and the general public of Korea would accept him as part of 2PM again. Keep hope alive!

And thanks for the recommended! Your suggestions are quite similar to madamhana’s. Will check them out!

4. yuki posted on September 8, 2009 at 8:54 pm

It really is a sad thing… I mean nobody is perfect and people do make mistakes… He made a comment on myspace like 5 years ago?? With all the pressure and training he had to endure last time, I would have done something like that… The netizens were too harsh on him =(

Park Jaebeom, we support you so pls come back!

5. Fika posted on September 8, 2009 at 9:29 pm

this is so unfair for jay!
      tha past is past, antis is so damn stupid didn’t think before speak and then regreted it? HUH IT’S TOO LATE MORONS

• lennat posted on September 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm

It’s quite unfair indeed. But I think Jaebeom did what he felt was right by leaving so as to give the public a proper apology. With the support of his fans, I am sure that he might be able to return soon! Have hope!

6. madamhana posted on September 8, 2009 at 9:34 pm

i bet u already know about super junior (suju) and dbsk? i think these days G-Dragon from Bigbang is taking over Kchart. his new album is AWESOME! girlband 2ne1 from the same company with bigbang also has a genius album. u should check it ;)

• lennat posted on September 8, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Oh! I actually met SuJa at last year’s MTV Asia Awards. Really nice boys and quite funny as well!

Thanks for recommending more groups to check out. Will definitely give DBSK, G-Dragon, 2ne1 a listen. My blog editor will be very pleased! YAY!

7. - posted on September 8, 2009 at 9:35 pm

“The comments were made way before he made it big with 2PM and were recently uncovered by his FANS, who wanted blood for his reckless and immature behavior.”

so not true… the fans weren’t the ones who wanted blood.

8. naa posted on September 8, 2009 at 10:00 pm

the news made me cry like a little kids!its so sad.2PM will be never be the same without Jay. 2PM FIGHTING! HOTTEST WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT YOU & 2PM!

p/s: i recommend you to check out FT Island.their new song is freaking awesome! :)

9. GiGI posted on September 8, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Forgive.. Why they can’t forgive Jaebeom? It’s so sad to see a rising star falling just like that!!

10. NeoPhNx posted on September 9, 2009 at 12:16 am

What’s past is past…
      Jay deserve a second chance…He is also a human being who makes mistake…
      To err is to human, to forgive is divine…

11. lb_tmi posted on September 9, 2009 at 2:03 am

i don’t believe that Lee Junho has been officially named leader of 2PM. as much as i adore Junho (he is my favorite), he can’t replace leadja Jae, but if it is him, he will be a great interim leader til Jae comes back. i have faith that Jae will return. he is 2PM. 2PM are all 7 of them to make one.

i hope Jae can reflect on this, get over it, and move on.. and come back to 2PM. he has too much talent to be wasted. we, fans of music, should not be deprived of his talents just because netizens are stupid and have nothing better than to try to ruin a person’s life.

12. zakuSUKIYAMI posted on September 9, 2009 at 9:42 am

Without Jaebeom, 2pm will never be the same. When i look/listen to the boy band i would be thinking of how JaeBeom was one of em. Im not a big fan of 2pm, Well yeah i am….. the way that netizens and Anti-Fans reacted to comment of the “myspace controversy” was a lil exaggerated. Yes the comment was wrong, everyone makes a mistake. Park JaeBeom shouldn’t have said it but the apologies he gave, the sorrow in his eyes, the way he sincerely admit that it was wrong, shouldn’t they give him another chance?. Plus that comment was 2years old. The pressure of being a trainee got to him.

Yes, quitting was his idea, no one placed that decision on him or did they? face it the pressure of the negativity, the petition to have him commit suicide, WTH is that?

—->well in the midst of my babbling, my point of all that was that he shouldn’t be ostracized for a 2year old comment. O yeah and when he didnt know the Korean Anthem, so what i dont even know it. Hes more Americanized. give him a break<—-

T_T *JaeBeom is NEEDED to complete 2PM*

13. Peter YEap posted on September 9, 2009 at 3:05 pm

It’s too bad without Park Jaebeom in 2PM group! So sad!!

14. cat posted on September 9, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Poor Jae… I’m not a fan of 2M, but still, I feel sorry for him. Korean Netizens should just chill out a bit and antis should go get a life.

I think it’s best for him to just stop and leave Korea before something bad happen to him. I’m kinda glad seeing him leaving Korea. At least he’ll live, and I hope him the best.

p.s.: you’ve met SuJu?! you are sooooo lucky…. tell me, what do you think of Eunhyuk? he’s my favorite SuJu member… ^^

15. Lee posted on September 9, 2009 at 4:44 pm

This can’t be true! Because of a diary he wrote he leaves?! It isn’t right!

16. Tangkool posted on September 9, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Jaebom please come back. Without you, it’s not be the same 2pm.
      We need leader!!!

17. nao posted on September 9, 2009 at 9:19 pm

well,, i don’t know how’re netizens think –;;

what jaebeom has made may be a big mistake,,but try to think it again..
      have you ever feel being a trainee for 4 years..? n then,, come on~~
      he’s not originally from korea,,he’s not grown up in korea –;;
      that’s common actually…
      he’s still need some time to adapt himself~ adaptation isn’t as easy as you think~ especially if you’ve to adapt urself in a country which has a different culture from ur originally country =(

can’t the netizen try to thinking clearly…??
      n beside,,that’s a 2 years old comment.. –;;
      the important things is current condition~
      every people can change…
      isn’t it good if jaebeom change from his originally condition according to his old comments… –;;

hah.. now it’s too late…!
      2PM can’t be 2PM w/o him.. there’s something which can’t be complete..
      i’m really sure..
      antis outside sometimes must be so regretted their decision…
      they must be miss jaebeom someday *if jaebeom won’t come back to korea*.. i’ve felt it,,so that i can say it…
      what a sudden decision..
      what’s past is a past.. =)
      hope he’ll come back to korea as a leader for 2PM..
      jaebeom,,jjang!!

18. shye posted on September 9, 2009 at 11:20 pm

you may want to check sharingyoochun.wordpress.com for daily updates of dbsk. they are superb :D

19. Mary posted on September 9, 2009 at 11:39 pm

This is so stupid, they got to give him a break, people make mistake and living in a place that you are not use to, can get to you something. People should get over it, and let him come back, it’s not going to be the same. 2pm is not going to be the same without there leader Jae Beom. Don’t make this mistake :) :)

20. Esther posted on September 13, 2009 at 3:48 am

I really pity artistes who have rising fame because there will always be peple there to pull you down.
      Michael Jackson is one clear example, being labelled as a pedophile, Edison Chen, being forced to his wits end and eventually withdraws for the media – now I see the exact same thing befalling Jae Beom.
      Solely on a remark he made years ago, haters/paparazzi/attention-seekers have to go to the extend of finding comments he wrote years (which maybe even he himself don’t even recall) to attack him.
      This world is full of evils and non-stop controversies will be coming up if people don’t find things to occupy their friggin life.
      Artistes these days sure have to be on a lookout on who will eb stabbing them in the back the next day.

21. Esther posted on September 13, 2009 at 3:50 am

Solely on a remark he made years ago, haters/paparazzi/attention-seekers have to go to the extend of finding comments he wrote years ago (which maybe even he himself don’t even recall) to attack him.
      Artistes these days sure have to be on a lookout on who will be stabbing them in their backs the next moment.

22. chacha posted on September 13, 2009 at 6:06 am

Oppa jay
      please comeback ..
      We miss you so much ..
      we want you back and give us a smile ..
      2PM, ONEDAY, HOTTEST are FAMILY !!!!!!!!!!!!

23. alice wong posted on September 14, 2009 at 3:56 am

I’m not a fan of 2PM but when I read the new of their leader park Jae beom I felt disappointing coz the remark Park make was 4 years ago and at that time he is only around 18yrs old. He’s not sure what he’s speaking, he’s all out by his own and leaving the state and his parents where he got no support during that time of his training. I hope the Korean can forgive him and so is the entertainment industry . Please forgive him and let him join back to him groups 2PM that he works so hard for

24. mrs. park jaebum posted on September 19, 2009 at 11:12 am

how and who found that little comment that jaebum wrote on his myspace. i wouldn’t blame him for hating koreans, they can get pretty annoying and i am korean. hahaa. he wrote that a long time ago, why did they find it now. that deal is not a good enough of a reason to quit the 2pm group. i’m disapointed and really sad he gave up on the group and gave up what he worked so hard for. i will love him forever and miss him a lot. hopefully i will meet him here in america(:.
      some good korean group/singers by the way are SG Wannabe, 2AM, big bang, and FT Island. and never listen to girls generation or wondergirls.

25. sean park posted on September 23, 2009 at 9:20 am

who cares? 2pm suck, 2am suck, 2 o clock suck, bigbang suck, wondergirls suck. k-pop is terrible. corporate rubbish, no soul, no meaning in the world of real music. goodbye jae whatever your name is…nobody cares.

• lennat posted on September 24, 2009 at 4:02 am

i admire your candor on this topic. what kind of music do you listen to? do share.

• sean park posted on September 24, 2009 at 9:48 am

what do i listen to? the Stones, The Who, The Ramones, Oasis, U2, The Clash, the Sex Pistols, The Libertines, Pete Doherty…god ANYTHING remotely interesting, meaningful, passionate, even poetic…not the trash which is produced on a corporate conveyor belt for the dumb-teenage masses to swallow and deem ‘music’ which is infact a money-making machine designe solely for musical crminals like Park Jin-young to fill his pockets with cash.

But no, these days it is a simple case of finding 8 guys (who are more feminine than masculine by the way with their make-up and lipstick), put them on stage to lip-sync meaningless songs which they were unable to write anyway becasue they are so bloddy talentless.

• lennat posted on September 24, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Great music influences! And very astute observations.

There are always two sides to every story and everyone’s free to choose what kind of music they feed themselves with. I always believe in this statement: “Life is too short for bad music.” But it’s up everyone’s personal interpretation what’s good and what’s bad. Don’t have to get angry over the state of things. Be glad that you have an appreciation that the masses don’t.

Park Jaybeom can’t fight the masses. Much less to say, the alternative/indie stream will definitely have a harder time making their point known. But keep on listening to what you love!

• han posted on October 10, 2009 at 3:45 am

yea.. music that is inspired by drugs and stoners is really meaningful and poetic.

26. Waiting For You To Return! posted on September 23, 2009 at 9:56 am

I like Jae Beom For His Music And Talents Of Dancing.
      And Part Of His Charming Good Looks. :] But It’s Kind
      Of Disappointing Knowing He Left Back. I Should Be Happy
      He’s In The USA with us right? XD WRONG! i wanna listen
      to his music!- The people did make a big deal about jaebeom..
      they already said he could stay! geeeez.

Sigh* Poor Sweet Jae Beom
      Much Love! <3

27. danz posted on October 14, 2009 at 1:52 am

I dont know you guys…………I meant the comment he posted was very hush…and the worse was he said something about korea…which i find it very hard to accept……i understand that training cant be hard…you just have to endure it i mean this is what you sign up for right… If you see there is alot of people who want to be popular like him and they do anything for it….In this case he already got a chance to show his passion in music…but he posted very foolish comments…..I am not 2pm anit fan i love them i love their music i think it is great…..i brought their album to show my support to them…..after hearing the comment he wrote i am very dissapointed……to me i feel that i just cant accept him anymore to the other band member i still support ………I just do now know you guys……If he is really sorry then he should get his ass back to korea to straight thing up…writing on a piece of paper is not going to work….

28. Samantha posted on October 14, 2009 at 12:05 pm

This became a controversy mostly by Big Bang fans because they tried to distract attention from G-Dragon’s plagiarism controversy. That’s why Jae Beom’s internet comments became such a scandel, but Hottests are crazy supporting 2PM though.

29. angle posted on October 31, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Hi Jae Boem.I like your for talents of dancing.I not a fan of 2pm but I like 2pm.Brother Jae Boem fighting!!!!

30. Gary posted on November 10, 2009 at 8:31 pm

hey, think it might be a bit late now, but you really should check out Snsd, otherwise known as girls generation. or brown eyed girls. wondergirls ofcourse. there is quite a new group but i cant recall their name. also if you delve into jpop you must listen to perfume.

31. 2pmalltheway posted on November 13, 2009 at 1:32 am

yea so much drama shit! people r juz being so pain indass about 5yearold thang!
      am with you if u say japanese/mandarin music R sucks! but i jus think korean music r way better, and if you are rock music lovers then this boyband things can never work on u. my recmm? Rain, SNSD(if u male), suju,tbsQ(if u r female)

32. Jim posted on November 15, 2009 at 2:04 am

He should definitely quit; insulting your own race and country of origin is treason.
      Korean-American and in fact most Asian-American are a bunch of self hating whitewashed individuals. They wish they’re Caucasians and the girls only dates whites or blacks.

• Jayisnevercomingback posted on January 12, 2010 at 8:56 am

Don’t people deserve second chances?? Please don’t judge Jay you don’t even know him..

It doesn’t matter anyway ..
        He wont be coming back..JYPE would never bring him back.

Miss you Jay..

33. Lia posted on December 14, 2009 at 4:56 am

wow thats alot of dramas for him…
      btw check out BIGBANG! <333

34. Rachelle posted on December 29, 2009 at 2:21 pm

My messege to Jay is I’ll just hope you stay healthy,eat healthy foods, don’t be dehydrated, and don’t lose your hopes cuz no matter what happens and no matter will other people say we’ll always support you and love you and remember you as a great leader of 2pm for us your still part of 2pm in our hearts.
      Without you 2pm wouldn’t have receive that many awards not jus an simple award but an award of best male group of the year! I think your the hottest of all the other leader(LOL) but it’s true..

P.S: hope ur reading this and always
      Always remember that we’re here for
      You. Come back soon… Love lots ur
      Fan, R@ch3|L 3

35. Vue posted on February 4, 2010 at 4:23 am

I miss Jaebeom. He needs to come back.

36. Vue posted on February 4, 2010 at 4:23 am

Well I hope he considers on coming back.

37. danyestelle posted on February 10, 2010 at 4:13 am

I wasn’t surprised he left. I mean, as soon as I heard about people actually signing a petition for him to commit suicide, I wanted him to leave South Korea.
      Yes, he mad a mistake but anybody who is so young and have to live in a different country, culture will experience this kind of feelings. I moved from Europe to the US when I was 15 and I’m sure I was as lost as him… but fortunately for me I had my family around me to make it easier.
      I honestly don’t know if he should go back to SK and be a part of 2PM: yes, his fans will be happy but I’m sure that he will continue to be criticized by the media, netizens etc. I rather have him have a good and happy life in Seattle, with his family and friends.

Take care of yourself Jay! :)

38. Zumi posted on February 26, 2010 at 12:23 am

A good Keroean band is Choshinsung [Or Supernova] I love them loads but I don’t think they’re that well known…

39. nickhunlover posted on April 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm

i don’t like jaebum so much but when i heard that jaebeom left 2pm i suddenly wanted to cry .please come back jae beom i think 2pm is meaningless without you. you said you are not strong as the leader no you are thinking the wrong way. you are the best leader forever. so please come back to 2pm .

40. 2pm nickhun posted on April 18, 2010 at 11:36 pm

hyung come back to korea ,i heard all fans are sad because you left 2pm,2pm is meaningless without you hyung.we all missjaebeomhyung sarenghae

41. mercy posted on August 17, 2011 at 3:31 am

Park jaebeom, i support you oppa. dont feel like your alone. we your fans will always be ther for you. we will protect you. even if your not coming back please smile brighter. we love you, seeing you happy is all we want. your not alone oppa i love you!!!!!!!!!